Thursday, April 23, 2015

Spring Thunder


The 2015 turkey season kicked off on April 15 with “questionable” expectations.  The early morning scouting missions that I had worked in the weeks leading up to the season yielded very poor results. -I had heard absolutely no roost gobbling and the overall number of sightings was significantly down in contrast to years past. This was particularly concerning considering the winters of 2012/2013 and 2013/2014, which were unbelievably brutal coupled with the 2013 spring that had extremely wet brooding conditions.

 I found myself scratching my head wondering which location to hunt as the season approached.  With only four days before the opening morning my oldest son, JD, and I decided to put my blind up in a high ground location along a small ridge line in hopes that it would serve as a possible travel corridor and would be a good starting point to simply listen for gobbles on opening morning if nothing else.  Adjustments could always be made in the following days. After talking with my hunting partner, Nick, he was in full agreement with the starting location. Upon setting the blind, JD and I saw a tom strutting a short distance of 250 yards away with a group of seven lady friends... With that simple sighting I felt a least a little better about the outlook for the opening season.

 Opening morning brought perfect hunting conditions. -Clear skies, very little wind, and temps starting around 40 degrees. I was optimistic that the birds would be vocal and ready to act, however after a couple hours of the season occurred there wasn't a single gobble to be heard. The optimism quickly faded to pessimism and the head scratching started again.  However, right before leaving the blind to head to work a couple of distant gobbles sounded off and the optimism returned. We did have a lonely hen additionally come to our calling that morning.  This hen hung around the jake/hen dakota decoy spread for quite some time, but the "real deal" even failed to lure in a tom despite vocalizing her want for a boy toy.  

 On Saturday morning my trusty hunting buddies, Nick and JD, joined me at the blind.  The morning started off a little shaky as I forgot the decoys and had to double back and make some time up.  I managed to make it to the blind yet just before opening light and we all got settled in after a few jabs were taken at me by Nick.  Once again, no roost gobbling, however a couple hours into the hunt we heard a distant gobble off a few hundred yards. As we patiently waited and listened a couple more gobbles ensued as a crow had this gobbler fired up.  We continued to call sparingly and a couple more gobbles were heard. Within a few short minutes a lone hen appeared and a tom erupted with a thundering gobble as he was quickly closing the distance. Our eyes focused on the line that the hen came on as we figured this tom was shadowing her.  A jake then appeared and I readied my bow as I was in full "kill mode" now. I began determining potential openings in the young white pines where I may potentially have a shot opportunity while Nick lightly made hen music on the slate call.

 My focus on the jake was suddenly interrupted when Nick informed me that there was a big tom coming in hard at our twelve o'clock at seventy five yards and closing quickly amidst the white pines. Although I didn't immediately see him through the pines in just a brief few seconds I did as he closed the gap to 30 yards. We anticipated a very tight shot as the jake decoy was at eight yards, however the tom settled right at twenty yards directly in front of the blind next to his hen friend. I told Nick and JD, who had a front row seat now, that I was going to take this shot. I readied the bow and had a tight right corner shot through the blind. Despite the tight angle I felt extremely confident with the shot as his head was down and centered itself right in front of his body. I decided to shoot for the base of the bird's neck as I determined that it would be a center punch hit even if I slightly missed the base of the neck.

 I drew back and let the montec laced arrow fly. Instead of hearing a "wump" sound that I was expecting I simply heard a simple "swish" as it sounded like a clean miss. I quickly questioned myself on just what had happened, however the turkey's reactions made it quite clear as he crumpled to the ground and lay motionless. A perfect shot! The broadhead nearly lopped the tom's head completely off.  A number of high fives erupted from the blind and JD ecstatically took off from the blind to check out the bird.

 Within just a few short minutes the question marks were answered and an odd opening week with great weather brought a 22 lb long beard to us. The overall numbers of turkeys could be down, but all it takes is one bird to make a season and a great memory with two best hunting buddies, my son and my brother. 

 
Gobble-Gobble! -luke

No comments:

Post a Comment